Orange & Chia Seed Cake With Sugared Rosemary.
ORANGE & CHIA SEED CAKE WITH SUGARED ROSEMARY.
Where sweet meets savoury.
The perfect mix of citrus orange and fragrant rosemary via baking goddess Donna Hay.
250g unsalted butter, softened
1 cup (220g) caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups (300g) self-raising flour, sifted
1 tablespoon black chia seeds
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary leaves
1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
1/2 cup (125ml) orange juice
3/4 cup (180ml) milk
3 sprigs rosemary
1/4 cup (55g) white sugar
2 cups (320g) icing sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons orange juice
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Place the butter, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for eight minutes or until pale and creamy.
2. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the flour, chia, rosemary, orange rind, orange juice and milk and beat on low speed until just combined.
3. Spoon into a 5cm deep, lightly greased 25cm round cake tin lined with non-stick baking paper. Cook for 40-45 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning the cake out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
4. While the cake is cooling, dip the rosemary sprigs in hot water, then press into the white sugar. Place on a small tray and allow to dry for 30 minutes or until crisp. Trim leaves and set aside.
5. To make the orange icing, place the icing sugar and orange juice in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Once the cake has cooled, spoon over the icing and decorate with sugared rosemary to serve.